Everywhere I turn I see fabulous women and men with real talent who are paralysed by insecurity, or juggling everything to make things work and condemning themselves when they don’t quite keep all the balls in the air. I read columns written by women who claim to empathise whilst directing the nanny, the cleaner and the PA to do all the things that normal folk berate themselves for not managing. (Actually I’m not going to do that one anymore, it sends my ranty levels to overload.)
Many of us are lucky enough to have OHs who take on at least some of the workload, or families living nearby who pop in and lend a hand now and again, but we’re not all that fortunate.
I’m here to say two things:-
1) We’re all in this together, undermining each other is not an option, and;
2) We’ve all got a talent, hidden or otherwise that we can share (it might not be anything useful but a talent’s a talent!)
So, in a terribly un-British attempt to cheer myself up and in the absence of being able to change the world, I want to hear what your talents are. If you’re too shy to write in the comments, at least jot them down on a piece of paper and keep it somewhere where you can glance at it regularly and remind yourself that you are a multi-faceted, amazing person.
Because you are, you’re wonderful and it’s time you started believing that!
So, I’ll start the ball rolling:
1) I’m pretty good at my job, when I get the time to do it.
2) I can say the alphabet backwards, without prompts
3) I haven’t done it for years but I can macramé a mean pot holder!
Your turn now, it can be one thing or 20 and as random as you like, but do it now and remind yourself that you’re so much more than the sum of your parts…