Ok, so bear with me here. My A level economics result was lamentable at best, but I did take the odd thing from it. I was always drawn to Pareto’s principle – that roughly 80% of effects come from 20% of causes. Wikipedia has some good examples, such as the fact that in Italy 20% of the population owns 80% of the land or that 80% of crime is carried out by 20% of criminals.
The Pareto principle goes a lot deeper and gets a whole lot more complex, and at that point my poor brain shuts down and runs from the room shouting la la la la la la whist I forge on with my own analogy to life, parenting and pretty much everything.
Take parenting for example. It’s hard. No one can ever warn you of quite how tough it’s going to be, that there are days when you will feel completely unequipped to cope with the whole thing, and would rather lie in the garden reading your book whilst your children sit glued to Ben10 Alien Force *cough*.
In fact, I’d go so far as to say that 80% of the time it’s tougher than tough – obviously this depends on your definition of tough, and how many children you have, and also the fact that it’s vital that you don’t look to your children to make you happy. That leaves 20% of the time where it’s pretty good, sometimes great, occasionally fantastic.
Oh, and my other loosely held economic beliefs? Prices will rise and politicians will philander – taken from one of my all time faves, appearing (not for the first time on my blog) here:
I’ve just discovered Mama’s Losin’ It! runs a writing workshop so I’m linking up this post to her prompt NO1…